LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:16:54 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Roby <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> >From: "Primov, Rachida S" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Teaching loads
> >Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:56:44 -0500
>
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I am trying to provide my Dean with an accurate idea of how much teaching
> the average language lab administrator does yearly.
>
> Could some of you tell me what you regular teaching load, if any, is during
> each year.  I need to know if you teach one, two, three, ... courses per
> year or if you do not have teaching responsibilities.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rachida Primov

Rachida,

Back in my lab days I usually taught 4 credits a semester.  That would
either be a 4-hour intro class or a 3-hour intermediate class and a 1-hour
course (usually at the graduate level)

I am a strong advocate of having lab directors teach some, but not too
much.  It gives them credibility with their colleagues and keeps them in
touch with students in the classroom (versus just interacting with them in
the lab).

I got many of my good ideas for the lab from my own teaching and dealing
with students.

Warren B. Roby, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
Washington State University
PO Box 642610
Pullman, WA 99164-2610

Tel. 509-335-8672
Fax  509-335-6619
http://www.wsu.edu/~roby/

"Oh, the thinks you can think!"  Dr. Seuss