LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:16:40 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Gordon Hartig) ---

>Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:29:07 -0500
>Subject: Re: Definition of World Languages
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: [log in to unmask] (Gordon Hartig)

------------------
I think this definition is fairly common, but mine is the perspective of
someone who was trained as a German teacher and who relies on the AATG as
a source of information.  The last statistics I saw did indeed show that
German and French both were taught to more students in more places around
the world as a foreign language than languages such as Chinese that have
significantly more native speakers.  In the last 10 years, too, the number
of students world-wide learning Russian as a foreign language has
declined.  The number of students learning Chinese and Japanese as a
foreign language has increased, but these languages still represent only a
small percentage of total foreign language enrollments.

Gordon Hartig
Language Lab
Middlesex Community College
Lowell, Mass.