LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:27:28 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Phade Orion Vader <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:44:20 -0600
>From: Phade Orion Vader <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5556 Customized satellite TV programming (!)
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hello from Texas Tech.

Here, we have subscribed to SCOLA, and have found it almost limitless in
potential.  Forty+ channels/countries of news from around the globe {SCOLA
Ch. 1}, 18+ channels of "consumer"-style programming {documentaries, civic
events, operas, children's programming, commercials, et cetera; Ch. 2}, and
a channel for Chinese Area Studies.  Future channels are slated to cover
distance ed, including less-commonly-taught languages and
discipline-specific training in a language context.

The cost for SCOLA can be significant, depending on an institution's total
student base.  SCOLA offers, however, a lot more than just raw video
signals--they have a lot of instructor support built-in to their
programming.  It is for this reason we have chosen to subscribe to them.
They also have a fantastic customer/client orientation, and are always
beyond helpful with both technical and application questions.  Their
Website is located at:

http://www.scola.org

Best of luck--

Phade Vader, Dir.
Language Learning Laboratory
   & Resource Center
Texas Tech University

At 03:24 PM 3/16/00 -0500, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from Karin Thomeier <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:52:35 -0300
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>From: Karin Thomeier <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Customized satellite TV programming (!)
>

>Hello fellow LLTI'ers,
>
>I am interested in hearing about colleagues' experiences at other
>(particularly Canadian) language media centres with
>satellite TV. Have you purchase a dish and if so, were you able to work
>out a customized programming package designed for
>the educational environment with the vendor?
>
>Here at Memorial, we have just invested in a dish from
>Bell ExpressVu and three receivers that will allow us to
>feed three different programs / languages out to our
>Macintosh lab at once. We are very excited about the
>prospect of receiving Deutsche Welle and TeleLatino for the
>first time, along with a host of French TV channels. However,
>it seems now that ExpressVu is unwilling to grant us anything
>but a commercial hook-up, for which there is no educational
>programming included and language packages have to be
>bought in addition to the (for us useless) basic channels. The monthly charge
>would run around $80 and includes $10 fee for each receiver.
>
>The ExpressVu web site mentions absolutely nothing about
>commercial hook-ups and focuses entirely on the residential
>programme offerings. My attempt to impress upon the agent I was
>speaking with that a university cannot be lumped together with
>commercial enterprises such as hotels proved futile. I cannot
>imagine that there are no labs out there who have not tried to
>customize satellite stations to meet the needs of the students
>using their facility. The ExpressVu agent said he had never
>heard of such a request.
>
>Please respond either to the list or offline with your experiences in
>setting up the satellite TV language channels you have and how you
>put your package together.
>
>Many thanks!
>
>Karin
>

>--
>Karin Thomeier, Ph.D
>Director of Language Laboratories
>Faculty of Arts
>Memorial University of Newfoundland
>St. John's, NF   CANADA   A1B 3X9
>Tel.: (709) 737-8585    Fax: (709) 737-4000
>http://www.mun.ca/langlabs

Phade Orion Vader, Director
Language Learning Laboratory
   & Resource Center