LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:17:40 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Monika Dressler <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:25:07 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Monika Dressler <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5539 Digitizing applications

------------------
A note to everyone thinking about digitizing materials:

You must obtain copyright permission from the holder of the copyright
before digitizing any materials which you have not created yourself.

In addition, asking the permission of the author is usually not sufficient.
It is, unfortunately, rare that the author retains rights.  You should contact
the publisher or the institution at which the materials were created/recorded.

If you don't seek permission, you are opening yourself up to lawsuits and
major fines (at worst) or a cease and desist requests (at best).  Most educational
materials can be acquired easily, painlessly, and at very reasonable costs, if not
for free.

Look at the IALL Management Manual Chapter 9, if you need a good place to
start:  http://iall.net/pub/manman/manual09.html

In the case of Elementary Modern Standard Arabic, permission must be
sought from the Regents of the University of Michigan, with the Language Resource
Center acting as their agents.   Contact:
        Foreign Language Course Services (FLACS)
                Language Resource Center
                2018 Modern Language Building
                812 E. Washington Street
                Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1275

                Telephone: (734) 764-0424
                Fax: (734) 764-3521

                email: [log in to unmask]

Best wishes,
Monika

Monika R. Dressler, Ph.D.
Director of the Language Resource Center
University of Michigan
2018 Modern Languages Building
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1275

http://www.umich.edu/~langres/