LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:53:50 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jim <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 09:47:21 -0500
>From: Jim <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5532 digitizing audio for PC (hardware recommendations wanted)
>Sender: Jim <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Foru    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
What format are you recording to in your digital audio studio? DAT or MD?
You can get a card for your PC that can accept digital signals direct
(for example digital optical SPDIF) and connect your digital recording
device to the computer via this kind of card. Then your signal can remain
in the digital domain throughout the process. This as opposed to putting
a digitalizing card in the computer and re digitalizing your recordings.
That is going from digital to analog to digital again.

I'm using a SEK'D Prodif 32 card in my Mac with an MD deck. Most of
SEK'D's cards are made for windows. Check www.bayviewproaudio.com for a
wide selection of cards and prices. I find MD to be great for recording
originals (74 minutes sterio-148 minutes mono). Rough edits can be done
(getting ride of long pauses, false starts, etc.), track markers can be
placed anywhere, and tracks can be moved. Also tracks can be found as
quickly as finding tracks on a CD. With tape you can't do this.

Jim