LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:53:49 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bernd Conrad <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:56:09 -0700
>From: Bernd Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Popular DVDs again
>To: [log in to unmask]

Just tying back into the mid-January discussion on Popular DVD,
subtitling, etc.:

I noticed in reading the posts that the German movie "Lola rennt"
(Run Lola run) was not mentioned (unless the search engine in my
Eudora 4.2 played a trick on me). "Lola rennt" was a very popular
movie in Germany in 1998, and it drew a large crowd of students
(biggest turnout ever) when we showed it here as part of our
departmental Film Series. It seemed that particularly the music
soundtrack appeals to that age group (The music Video is on the DVD)..

The movie was released in NTSC format for the US market in late
December. As a result, the DVD has optional English/Spanish/French
subtitles (unfortunately no German subtitle track), and the original
German soundtrack as well as (an awful) optional dubbed-in-English
track. In addition, there is an optional soundtrack on which the lead
actress (Franks Potente) and the director (Tom Tykwer) comment on the
making of the movie for the duration of the entire moviee.

The DVD can be had for about $20, the VHS tape version for about $80
(English subtitles only).

Bernd Conrad
Northern Arizona University