LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 17:00:02 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Cynthia Bravo <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Cynthia Bravo <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Student Workers
>Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 14:01:19 -0500

Hello from Boston!

On April 7 the New England Regional group will be holding its Spring
meeting at Regis College in Weston, MA where the topic will be:
EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT STUDENT WORKERS (BUT WERE
AFRAID TO ASK!).

In preparation for my presentation "HIRE-archies  -  Approaches to
student hiring", I would like to collect from IALLers a representative
sampling of job application forms and "favorite" interview questions
used in the student hiring process.  I'm also trying to determine the
variety of student jobs and approaches there are to student staffing at
various lab/resource center facilities (i.e. pre-placement of student
workers by Financial Aid?, first-come, first-served hiring?, applicant
pool/interview/check references/"you've got the job!" variety?, other?)

I would greatly appreciate receiving (off list) at the email address
below the following:

(1)  A short statement describing the basic approach to hiring student
employees (see the "i.e." paragraph above) at your lab/resource center
(Is this approach the standard in all departments at your institution?)

(2)  A list of the student job positions in your lab/resource center

(3)  1 or 2 Interview Questions you consider most effective in
provoking "revealing" responses from students ("revealing" response =
good predictor of job success or failure)

(4)  A copy of the Job Application Form used at your lab/resource
center or, if appropriate and permitted, a copy of the standardized
form used for student employment throughout your institution (MS Word
attachment preferred, thanks!)

Thank you in advance for sharing your information. I will post a
summary of the collected info. to the list or to the NERALLD website
after April 7.

Happy Spring Break  -  whenever it arrives for  you, if it ever does!

Cindy Bravo

Cynthia Bravo, Director
Boston College Language Laboratory
Lyons Hall, Room 313
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA  02467-3804
Tel. (617) 552-8473
Fax (617) 552-2064
Email:  [log in to unmask]  or  [log in to unmask]