LLTI Archives

March 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 13:06:11 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Ilse Klinkhamer <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
>--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (James Severance) ---
>
>>Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:45:02 -0800
>>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>>From: [log in to unmask] (James Severance)
>>Subject: Mac vs. (Virtual) PC
>
>------------------
>Dear Members,
>
>Just resubbed so please forgive me if this was recently discussed etc..
>
>We are about to purchase new computers for the lab. Currently we are using
>Macs. Faculty, however, can't decide whether or not to replace the
>computers with PC's or Macs.
>
>So here's the question: What (if anything) could any of you say about
>Virtual PC software on the Macs? Best of both worlds? Is it compatible with
>the Sony LLC 9000 (which we're holding on to for now)? What are the
>drawbacks/advantages?
>
>Also, is there any particular reason why going Mac is a bad idea?
>
>PLease reply offlist if this was just covered--I did check the archives but
>couldn't find what I was looking for.
>
>Sincerely
>James Severance
>Univ. of San Francisco

Here at Saintmary's we have a relatively new Mac Lab with just one PC.   We
love the Macs because they are simple to use and set up.  The only reason
we have the PC is to run some of the programs which only run on this
operating system.  I must say, when I have to do anything with the PC it is
frustrating and tedious and usually have to get help from the inhouse techs
and they struggle too.  So my vote is for Macs.

Ilse

Ilse V. Klinkhamer
Modern Languages
Language Lab Director