LLTI Archives

February 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:25:16 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Patrick Davis" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Patrick Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: neat web tool - flyswat
>Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:52:52 -0400

------------------
I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about interesting new web
applications when he asked me if I had heard about a company with a web tool
called "Flyswat".  http://www.flyswat.com

It is an interesting tool modeled after something that Apple tried to do.

There is a small program to download - I think it takes about 1 min. on a 56
K modem (almost no time with ADSL) and it runs in the system tray of a PC.

When browsing a web document or some form of text file (like Word or
WordPerfect) if you hold the alt-key and click once with your mouse a small
menu comes up (like a right mouse click window).  Depending ont the word,
the menu asks if you would like a definition - to look up an acronym - to
access info from an encycolopedia, or if it is a company it presents you
with detailed options on getting company information.  (If you are
attempting this with a text document, your internet connection must be live
or flyswat won't work.)

It is an amazing tool!  Perhaps (almost definitely) too complex for lower
level language learners because sometimes it picks up the wrong word - or
the dictionary isn't quite on the mark (one of the dictionaries that it
references is Webster's - not its own.)

I thought some of you would be interested in this tool.  I have no vested
interest in the company and can't tell you much more about it or its
program.

The website for the program and company is http://www.flyswat.com

Patrick Davis, General Manager
Study Abroad Canada, Charlottetown Prince Edward Island
Programs include: ESL, High School Program, TESL Certificate, MA TESL/TEFL
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>    http://www.eccl.ca
A proud member of the Canada Wide English Network
http://www.canadawide-english.com