LLTI Archives

February 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:39:16 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Jennifer Bates" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Jennifer Bates" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re:  #5475 HTML Editors
>Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 15:37:46 -0330

------------------
This question usually sparks a lot of debate and here's my opinion. I still
think you're better off with a program that facilitates the creation of code
by hand, and produces code that is clean, predicatable and easy to edit.
Probably cheaper too. Right now I'm trying out a Windows based one call
40tude which I quite like (www.40tude.com). I've also used Allaire's
Homesite which was very similar. I've only had the briefest of experiences
with FrontPage which ended up in me throwing out the code and starting over
again! I also don't like Composer because I find it awkward. I've never had
the chance to work with Dreamweaver. As for training faculty, we still teach
them the actual code using Notepad and Netscape, but I'm starting to hear
lots of complaints that I'm old fashioned in this approach.

Jennifer Bates
Programmer Consultant
Faculty of Arts
Memorial University of Newfoundland