LLTI Archives

February 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:33:27 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Rachel Saury <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:31:42 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Rachel Saury <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Salary equity issues

------------------
Dear IALLers,

I am looking for information on salaries for Directors of centers
comparable to the one of which I am the director at the University of
Virginia, a publicly-funded institution in Central Virginia.

Just this past fall, following close upon the heels of installing a new
digital Tandberg lab, I approached my bosses and asked for a raise to set a
salary commensurate with my level of responsibility, knowledge, and
background, as I am being paid significantly less than individuals in the
institution whom I consider my professional peers.  The outlook is hopeful.
 However, to beef up my case, I have been asked to give them salary and
position information from comparable facilities.  Can anyone out there help
me and share their salary?  All information will be kept confidential.

Here is a brief description of our Center's services and the Director's
activities:

The Arts & Sciences Center for Instructional Technologies (ASCIT) supports
instruction in the arts, humanities, sciences and social sciences.
Services range from a large audiovisual equipment loans pool including
everything from taperecorders to projection systems to supporting the
Multimedia Language Learning Laboratory which has its home in the center.
We recently installed a 60-student workstation Tandberg Divace and ICM with
digital video and NT servers.  On the Equipment Loans side, we serve
approximately 50 clients/day; on the Language Lab side, we serve
approximately 4,000 undergraduates and graduate students overall. In
addition to management of these two services, the Director consults with
faculty on how to use technology in teaching language, literature and
culture.  The Director also manages many digital projects, ensuring they
are brought through to completion and acts as a liaison between the Center
and 6 foreign language departments, several other departments where less
commonly taught languages are taught (anthropology and religious studies)
and other technology centers at the university.  The Director supervises
one network technician, one lower-level computer technician, one
audiovisual technician/administrative assistant, and up to 15 students. The
Center has a total budget of approximately $225,000 (wages and salaries
included).

Thanks!

Rachel Saury

Rachel E. Saury, Ph.D.
Director
Arts & Sciences Center for Instructional Technology
219 Cabell Hall
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA  22903 USA
        OR
3585 Hungrytown Road
Covesville, VA 22931 USA
wk. 804-924-3470        hm. 804-979-1274  fax  804-924-6875
http://minerva.acc.virginia.edu/~asmedia
http://minerva.acc.virginia.edu/~asmedia/flitig.html
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~res4n
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~res4n/rachel/slfk213.html
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
Breath sweeps mind.