LLTI Archives

February 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:13:09 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Ed Dente <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 09:03:13 -0500 (EST)
>From: Ed Dente <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5467 $ for special use of LRC?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hi Norval,
I am asked for that same service each year, and we happily provide it
at no cost. In fact, I wish we had more chances to interact with our
local communities (our school sits astride the border between two
cities, so we have two communities to work with.)
One thing I'm proud that our lab has been able to do over the past few
years
is conduct the occasional interactive audio and video guest lecture
class given by a Tufts administrator or professor to the local high
schools via our MediaOne Inet connection from our lab in-house
studio. (I asked that the cable company provide us w/ an Inet drop
that connects us on a local cable network w/ local community offices
and schools.) This class is also fed through the city's cable headend to
all the houses in
the city that have cable, so we can reach a very wide audience.
Likewise, we use our PictureTel ISDN videoconferencing system to conduct
almost weekly interactive French classes or culture discussions with a
local high school (whose tech coordinator is also on this list.)
In short, I urge you to do as much of this kind of community service as
possible - it is not at all the same as competing w/ a local business.
Good luck,
Ed Dente

betweenOn Thu, 3 Feb 2000, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Norval Bard <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 14:29:32 -0600
> >From: Norval Bard <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: fees for special use of LRC?
>
> Hi,
>
> How do other labs/LRCs handle infrequent, outside use of lab
> facilities?  In our case, a local high school has contacted us, asking
> to do AP testing in our LRC.  Do most people have a standard fee
> schedule for such things?  I know we have to be careful about some of
> the services we can provide due to questions about unfair competitive
> advantages (e.g., copying of audio tapes for outsiders), but this seems
> a little different; where would such a group go?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Norval
>
> --
>

> ****************************
> Norval BARD
> Assistant Professor of French
> Director, Myers Language Resource Center
> North Central College
> Naperville, IL  60566
> ph:  (630) 637-5125
> fax: (630) 637-5121

Edmund N. Dente
Director, Language Media Center    Ph: 617-627-3036
Tufts University                   [log in to unmask]
Medford, MA 02155