LLTI Archives

February 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:57:44 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 13:29:22 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5464 Salary equity issues

------------------
Hi Rachel --

        If you get enough responses, could you summarize them so as to ensure
confidentiality but also to give some indication of the *range* of
salaries, maybe roughly grouped by institutional size or whatever criterion
seems sensible to you?  I'm sure we'd all be in your debt.

        Best,
                Nina

At 11:33 AM 2/3/2000 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]
>digital Tandberg lab, I approached my bosses and asked for a raise to set a
>salary commensurate with my level of responsibility, knowledge, and
>background, as I am being paid significantly less than individuals in the
>institution whom I consider my professional peers.  The outlook is hopeful.
> However, to beef up my case, I have been asked to give them salary and
>position information from comparable facilities.  Can anyone out there help
>me and share their salary?  All information will be kept confidential.
>
>Here is a brief description of our Center's services and the Director's
>activities:
>
>The Arts & Sciences Center for Instructional Technologies (ASCIT) supports
>instruction in the arts, humanities, sciences and social sciences.
>Services range from a large audiovisual equipment loans pool including
>everything from taperecorders to projection systems to supporting the
>Multimedia Language Learning Laboratory which has its home in the center.
>We recently installed a 60-student workstation Tandberg Divace and ICM with
>digital video and NT servers.  On the Equipment Loans side, we serve
>approximately 50 clients/day; on the Language Lab side, we serve
>approximately 4,000 undergraduates and graduate students overall. In
>addition to management of these two services, the Director consults with
>faculty on how to use technology in teaching language, literature and
>culture.  The Director also manages many digital projects, ensuring they
>are brought through to completion and acts as a liaison between the Center
>and 6 foreign language departments, several other departments where less
>commonly taught languages are taught (anthropology and religious studies)
>and other technology centers at the university.  The Director supervises
>one network technician, one lower-level computer technician, one
>audiovisual technician/administrative assistant, and up to 15 students. The
>Center has a total budget of approximately $225,000 (wages and salaries
>included).
>

>Thanks!
>
>Rachel Saury
>

>Rachel E. Saury, Ph.D.
>Director
>Arts & Sciences Center for Instructional Technology
>219 Cabell Hall
>University of Virginia
>Charlottesville, VA  22903 USA
>        OR
>3585 Hungrytown Road
>Covesville, VA 22931 USA
>wk. 804-924-3470        hm. 804-979-1274  fax  804-924-6875
>http://minerva.acc.virginia.edu/~asmedia
>http://minerva.acc.virginia.edu/~asmedia/flitig.html
>http://www.people.virginia.edu/~res4n
>http://www.people.virginia.edu/~res4n/rachel/slfk213.html
>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>xxxxxxx
>Breath sweeps mind.
>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nina Garrett
Director of Language Study
Yale University
P.O. Box 208349
New Haven, CT 06520-8349

Tel.  (203) 432-8196
Fax. (203) 432-4485
http://www.yale.edu/cls/

Campus address: Room 308, 1 Hillhouse Avenue