LLTI Archives

February 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:56:50 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Margo Burns <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 13:08:20 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Margo Burns <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5459.2 Tandberg

------------------
I have nothing but good things to say about the people Tandberg has
sent to install and maintain the lab.

We have an IS10 lab with 28 student stations and a dual-teacher
console which was installed in 1995. We have the maintenance contract
as well, which includes two annual visits to go through the entire
lab for routine maintenance (and they ask ahead of time if there's
anything in particular that's having a problem so they can bring the
necessary parts and tools) plus one emergency visit.  They apparently
price it based on how many stations you have.   The tape decks we
have run about $1500, so yes, they are expensive, but they are
industrial-quality decks, and we have had very few problems with them
in the five years our lab has been up and running.

Tandberg offered a free two-day hands-on course in 1996 at their
offices (and even put us up overnight, although we had to cover
transportation to and from, as I recall it working) on maintaining
the lab equipment, which I took.  This included how to take apart the
tape decks & the console, how the various parts were wired together,
and cleaning & adjusting for common problems. Nils Sodermann, who
taught the course, had installed our lab, and was an excellent
teacher.  I hope more people will have the opportunity to take this
course!

--Margo

Margo Burns       603-229-4666     [log in to unmask]      http://www.sps.edu
      Director of The Language Center, St. Paul's School, Concord, NH