LLTI Archives

February 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:49:29 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:34:51 -0600 (CST)
>From: Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Thanks (TBob)

I want to thanks all who replied to my short questionnaire about LRC
direction and use.  We are hopeful that I or someone will be LRC director
and that our lab will be very fully used by next year.

Looking at several options, we find that a designated technical director
from our CC does not seem to work with other unit that have less
specialized needs than ours.  We will likely not have the money to hire
someone with a Masters in Language Technology to run the the lab and
teach.  However, since we are proposing a change in our curriculum, and
since Spring semester has been a bit light in French (since we hired a
chair who is a French teacher) we may be able to offer one less class in
the Spring.  This would mean that the maximum cost of my rufuction to 4
(from 8) courses per year, will be not $10,000 (in adjunct pay), but
$7500.  The benefits to the University in our change of curriculum
(dependant on an LRC director), will outweigh the investment.  We have
gone over several big barriers so far.  Of course we could be turned down
in the end, but I would like to think positively.

TBob

Bob Peckham
Director, The Globe-Gate Project
Dept. of Modern Foreign Languages