LLTI Archives

February 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:28:12 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Leslie Graul <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:49:49 -0500
>From: Leslie Graul <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5440 language lab experience

I, too, am interested in learning what others' experiences have been or where
they are in this process, regardless the size of the institution.   I represent a
small, liberal arts college.  Although our primary focus continues to be foreign
languages, we serve all departments, academic and administrative, on our campus.
To emphasize the fact that we do not restrict our services to one department, we
renamed the facility at the onset of the academic year, changing it from the
Language-Media Lab / A-V Services to the Instructional Media Center.

The 'lab' in our center is a large room that houses a sixteen-year-old Sony
language lab,  a collection of assorted computers, laser disc players, scanners,
printers, slide and filmstrip viewers, satellite receivers, video viewing and
video editing stations. We can place other  equipment in empty positions upon
request.

The cassette recorders have been heavily used as well as affected by unfortunate
climactic conditions. Since the equipment is obsolete, for the last seven years
we've had to rely upon the cannibalization of discarded equipment to get certain
replacement parts.  Last year, the college decided not to put any more money into
its upkeep.  As a result, fewer than ten recorders are fully operational.
Unfortunately,  instructors can no longer bring their classes into the lab for
audio drilling and testing.

Our hope is to incorporate audio, video and computer work into a modern,
state-of-the-art multimedia (digital) learning system.  We plan to have another
area for digitizing, scanning, creating multimedia projects, etc.  But it will be
quite some time before we can completely disassociate ourselves from analog audio
and video.  We are looking for a solution that will enable us to incorporate both
until our clientele is able to be well served with digital media alone. (if that
time ever arrives)

I am looking into all the advertised systems in the attempt to find what would
best meet our needs. ( Right now, the Sony Symphony 8 with the Soloist digital
recorders seems to be a great choice!  The positions can have either digital or
analog recorders or both.  Students could take out analog copies of materials;
digital ones could be sent via the Internet.)

The matter of funding is of particular concern..  Since a lot of money is being
spent on other campus renovations, our plans seem to be met with little
enthusiasm.  I need to find a way to engender more interest and support for this
project.  I've been following as many of the suggestions found in the IALL design
kit and other publications as I can, including a lab upgrade committee, faculty
and staff surveys, tours of other facilities.  Our grants writer has submitted
two (four page!) requests; neither was funded.  I've been told to hold off on
getting a consultant...   I'm hoping that other lab directors will have more
ideas to help in this effort.

                                Leslie Graul,  Thiel College