LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:29:19 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Matthew Mattingly <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:54:46 -0500
>From: Matthew Mattingly <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5453 spelling questions
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
According to Constance Hale's "Wired Style":
Internet is always initial capped and used with "the"
online is oneword
DVD stands for digital videodisc (or video disc (or disk)) but is not
confined to delivering video
I don't get the question about scanners: they are a. devices to capture
images digitally, b. devices to listen in on police communications, or
c. a David Cronenberg movie
but don't have an acronym and are not especially related to an OS
(Operating System)
Matthew

LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "Polly LYNN" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >From: "Polly LYNN" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: spelling questions
> >Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:34:01 -0600
>
> ------------------
> Dear List readers,
>
> Is "internet" (Internet) capitalized?  Why or why not?  We're writing a Know
> Your Private Schools booklet for the League of Women Voters.  Some schools
> capitalized it and some schools didn't; we'd like to be consistent.  I think
> I saw that the New York Times capitalized it.
>
> As long as we are on that subject, how should I spell "on line", is there a
> hyphen, one or two words?
>
> I'm also writing a resume.  I'm trying to have a section devoted to
> technological training.  Is it dvd, DVD or D.V.D. and what exactly does that
> stand for?  On a resume, would you say "scanner" or OS -whatever?  What is
> the acronym for scanner.
>
> What is the difference between the two sides of a DVD?
>
> Thank you!
> Polly Lynn (I'm not at a university.  I'm staying at home with two babies.)

Director                                         (413) 542-8163
Five Colleges Multimedia Access Project      FAX (413) 542-2662
Box 2256                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        http://www.amherst.edu/~map
Amherst College
Amherst, MA 01002