LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:29:18 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Scott Smith <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:53:36 -0800
>From: Scott Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum                          <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5450 language lab experience

------------------
Technophobes teachers should start looking for other work.  Technology is
here to stay, in fact the technology behind Tandberg systems is much more
confusing to new users than computers are to new users.  I find Tandberg
documentation to be very poor and difficult to decipher.  Can-8 seems to
be a more reasonable approach to language learning because it does not
introduce new technologies rather it uses standard computer processes to
access and transfer data.  Tandberg uses proprietary hardware thus giving
them opportunity to charge exorbitant prices for replacement parts (e.g..
network card for CSSNet  $400.00) or tape decks $1500.  When purchasing
your language lab hardware you must be aware of level of service you will
be provided and cost of replacement parts.  Once you have made the
purchase you will be forced to purchase replacement equipment for the life
of the lab.