LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:29:32 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Gordon Hartig) ---

>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:41:51 -0500
>Subject: Why Convert to Digital?
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: [log in to unmask] (Gordon Hartig)

        A request to subscribers:  Please send comments about John Fick's posting
about converting from a traditional analog language lab to the list.
        At MCC we also are beginning to look at how to upgrade our lab. The
centerpiece of our present 30-station lab is an 8-year-old Tandberg IS10
(directing both audio and video).  We also have 25 IBM-compatible PC's,
part of the college network, hooked up to a printer.
        A basic question: What compelling arguments are there for switching to a
digital platform?  What I would like to see is a system that would allow
students to work either in the lab or to download the materials to
computers at home so they could use the materials at home whenever their
schedules would permit it.  This could not happen with analog.
        Yet I expect arguments to the effect that this is not necessary and that
it is too costly.  I cannot argue with people who point out that audio and
video cassettes are inexpensive, easy to use, and easy to maintain.  And
the availability of these technologies is unlikely to disappear anytime
soon.   Our analog library is small, but concern also has been expressed
about  the cost of converting current materials and the fact that digital
materials are more costly than analog when purchased new.
        Thank you for any thoughts you might have on these matters.

Gordon Hartig
Language Lab Coordinator
Middlesex Community College
33 Kearney Square