LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:29:26 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Michael Bush" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Michael Bush" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5453 spelling questions
>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:43:16 -0700

------------------
DVD is the correct representation.  It stands (post hoc) for
Digital Versatile Disc.  It used to be Digital Video Disc,
but then before it was released, some DVD Forum members
said, "Hey we can get cool audio (96KHz sample rate at 24
bits per sample, I believe.) on DVD and sell players that
will play the new format, getting our hands into a few more
pockets on the way. It does not make sense to call an audio
format Digital Video Disc -Audio.  Let's just say that DVD
stands for Digital Versatile Disc instead!"

The word is Internet because it is a proper noun that
describes the "inter-network" that was created with ARPA
funding etc. and that was originally called the ARPAnet or
perhaps ARPANet.

I have always seen online spelled that way.  For what it is
worth, my Microsoft Word 2000 spelling and grammar did not
at all hiccup when I typed it that way just now.  It did
flag ARPANet and ARPAnet above.  By the way, it does not
like internet, but it loves Internet.

I know of now acronym for scanner, but OCR software (optical
character recognition) can be used with scanners.

The difference in the two sides of a DVD is determined by
the producer of the disc.  Each side can contain two layers
of content, and when this is the case, the disc will
optimally contain 8 hours and 52 minutes of high quality
video (more or less depending on video and audio quality
levels chosen when the disc master is created).

Note that "disc," as used when referring to things optical,
is now accepted by the New York Times as the correct
spelling rather than disk (videodisc and not videodisk,
compact disc and not compact disk, although I am not sure
they ever did the latter).  This was a bone of contention
with people in the industry for years.

Cheers,

Mike
Michael Bush