LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:29:23 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 22:31:48 -0600
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5453 spelling questions

------------------
I don't know about all the questions, but I think I can answer a couple:

Internet is capitalized (although I consistently spell it lower case!)
Online is one word (although the spell checker certainly allows two)

And finally it's DVD (use periods only when talking about B.V.D.s <g>)

I'm sure others have equally insightful answers <g>

>>> LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> 01/25/00 03:04PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Polly LYNN" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Polly LYNN" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: spelling questions
>Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:34:01 -0600

------------------
Dear List readers,

Is "internet" (Internet) capitalized?  Why or why not?  We're writing a Know
Your Private Schools booklet for the League of Women Voters.  Some schools
capitalized it and some schools didn't; we'd like to be consistent.  I think
I saw that the New York Times capitalized it.

As long as we are on that subject, how should I spell "on line", is there a
hyphen, one or two words?

I'm also writing a resume.  I'm trying to have a section devoted to
technological training.  Is it dvd, DVD or D.V.D. and what exactly does that
stand for?  On a resume, would you say "scanner" or OS -whatever?  What is
the acronym for scanner.

What is the difference between the two sides of a DVD?

Thank you!
Polly Lynn (I'm not at a university.  I'm staying at home with two babies.)