LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:23:47 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:42:11 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Announcing: MWALL 2000

------------------
Hear ye! Hear ye!

(My daughter Kate is in Much Ado About Nothing, and the spirit is catching.
What follows, however, is Much Ado About SOMETHING!)

Announcing MWALL 2000: Focus on the Learner
University of Notre Dame
May 5 & 6

The theme of MWALL 2000 invites us to look at issues from the perspective
of the learner; the recipient of our lab services and teaching efforts, our
raison d'être. We depend on our learners; not only for the tuition dollars
or attendance figures that eventually pay our salaries, but also for
information about which strategies, settings and technologies work best.
Let's focus on the relationship from our clients' perspective and ask
ourselves these
questions:

How can learning be measured? How has it been measured in the past? Which
changes has technology brought about?

What are effective learning strategies? How, when and where do students
learn? Which services can be provided to help them? How can we help
students who learn "differently?" What can the role of technology be?

Can we design settings (software, hardware) that enhance learning?

What are technology roadblocks, and how can we remove them?

What kinds of collaborative learning opportunities can we provide?

The answers to these and other questions will shape the two-day conference
and provide opportunities for sharing, discussing, and networking.

Come back to Notre Dame (site of IALL '95) and participate in another
exciting conference. Information and the Call for Proposals is here:
http://LanguageCenter.cla.umn.edu/MWALL/

Travel and lodging info will be there soon!

--
Ursula Williams http://www.nd.edu/~uwilliam

Director
Language Resource Center http://www.nd.edu/~lrc