LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:23:44 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Ross, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Ross, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Alki Russian Proofing Tools and font display
>Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:12:55 -0500

Hi, All:

We recently completed the transition (mostly successfully) to using PCrDist
and Ghost in our lab.  A very interesting config experience, given that we
use 7 different profiles.  I had thought we'd resolved all issues, when I
attempted to write and spell-check a document in Russian, using Alki's
Russian Proofing Tools.  We use Fingertip Software's Cyrillic Starter Kit to
remap the keyboard - it offers AATSEEL layouts as well as the panoply of
Cyrillic keyboards.  The preference here is for "AATSEEL student".

When I accept a prompted spelling change to the document, the proofing tool
replaces the typed characters with empty boxes, as though it can't find an
appropriate font.  The fonts we use (Timesse Cyr and Couriere Cyr) are
standard Unicode fonts, as far as I can tell from Fingertip's documentation.
I got the following message from tech support at Alki:

                Andrew,

                I do not know if the fonts you are using are Unicode based,
but that is what
                is required for the Russian speller to work. The ghost image
may not have
                added the Multilanguage support you need.  The only reliable
way to get the
                speller to work is to follow the directions in Appendix A of
the Proofing
                Tools manual -- install the Multilanguage support and use
the Russian
                keyboard that comes with Windows, then use the augmented
Windows fonts
                (Times New Roman and Arial are a couple). (snip)

We don't want to change to the Russian keyboard, particularly because the
AATSEEL student keyboard roughly approximates the standard QWERTY layout.

Ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

a.

Andrew F. Ross, Ph.D
Director, Multimedia Language Lab
G15 Puryear Hall
University of Richmond,  VA   23173
Tel: (804) 287-6838

"Worrying about a large institution, especially when it has computers, is
like worrying about a large gorilla, especially when it's on fire."   --
Bruce Sterling