LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:08:55 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Ken Carpenter" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Ken Carpenter" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re:      Re: #5428.2 Popular DVD movies are only French and Spanish (!)
>Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:37:21 -0500

------------------

    Thanks to those who responded. Perhaps there is a good and feasible
educational opportunity but not a profitable market to put numerous tracks
on great film DVDs. What I am hearing makes me think that all the audio and
subtitle tracks exist but the market may be a bit slim.

    Is there someone on our list who has the ability and the wish to prepare
a grant proposal to bring the resources together.

    I think, naively perhaps, that the actual process of cutting DVDs could
be done by the media department of many of your colleges. Perhaps, with
funding from Annenberg or some other foundation, the big media companies
might allow a college to make versions of the films with many tracks.
Perhaps the grantee could sublet the process to a media company.

    Perhaps something like PBS could make and distribute such disks at a
reasonable price.

    If one of you should decide to prepare such a grant, I believe people on
the list would offer suggestions.

    The thought occured to me so I am passing it on.

Ken Carpenter