LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:09:03 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Pablo Viedma <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:13:26 -0800 (PST)
>From: Pablo Viedma <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: Popular DVD movies are only French and Spanish

------------------
As I understand it, it's a purely commercial issue. Since DVDs are released
here before anywhere else in the world, translations into some other
languages haven't yet been made. That's why in some other zones DVDs come in
more languages, such as Europe or Asia. And that's also why DVD players can
only play movies from the same zone they are sold at.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Viedma
Culpeper Language Center
Gustavus Adolphus College

>      But only French and Spanish are common as additional sound and =
>  audio
>  tracks. I wonder if the decision to limit the number of tracks was =
>  made
>  because someone thought the interest in such a feature is limited. =
>  Would
>  there be enough interest? Could we communicate that there would be =
>  to the
>  decision makers?
>
>  Ken Carpenter

Visit Excite Shopping at http://shopping.excite.com
 The fastest way to find your Holiday gift this season