LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:08:59 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Michael Bush" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
Cindy Tracy wrote:
> I assumed that since DVDs are coded for different
> regions it has to do with the video conversion to DVD
format.
I am not exactly sure what you mean, whether you are talking
about technical or marketing issues.  It seems you are
referring to the rights to distribute video in various
regions.  A distributor who buys rights for one region wants
to know that people will not be able to buy the materials
they have licensed in other regions, so to protect them, the
seller of rights insists that the region code be set
appropriately.

In other words, the regionalization issue is a marketing
decision, not a technical one

Cheers,

Mike
Michael Bush