LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:04:16 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Gernot Neuwirth <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:05:52 +0100
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Gernot Neuwirth <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5428 Popular DVD movies are only French and Spanish

------------------
I have also been intrigued with the possibilities and limitations of DVDs.
I feel that the most useful way of using DVDs is to play them in the target
language, with subtitles in the same language. This will enable the "weaker
brethren and sistren" to refer to the subtitles while those who find
comprehension easier can ignore them. Problem is that subtitles often
differ considerably from the actual sound track. E.g., I watched the
Spanish version, plus Spanish subtitles, of several popular American movies
to help my poor comprehension of Spanish, but subtitles and dubbing
sometimes seem to be made by two entirely different teams and can therefore
diverge widely, to a point where subtitles are no longer useful but confusing.

As far as the number of languages is concerned, my impression is that here
in Austria, the most popular DVDs are German/English only. Subtitles
sometimes are only German, sometimes they are more diverse, i.e., up to 7
ranging from the more common languages to "exotic" ones such as Hebrew and
Icelandic. The latter I find especially fascinating because it represents,
with its th-runes, the closest living approximation to original Germanic.

Other DVDs here have up to 5 sound tracks, with up to 19 subtitles, and my
feeling is this was especially so at the beginning of DVDphoria, with more
recent releases being in two languages only. I don't wish to subscribe to
conspiracy theories, but could this have to do with profit maximization on
the part of the producing companies? Restrictive practices can certainly be
observed in the fact that although DVD would technically offer the
possibility to finally get rid of the historically justified NTSC/PAL/SECAM
problems, DVD producers have apparently artificially cut up the global
market into a dozen or so segments which are mutually non-compatible. In
other words, when I buy a DVD player here, the salesman informs me that I
cannot play DVDs that I bring from Asia or even from the US. He will be
happy to sell me a machine that can play several or all modes, but tells me
it's illegal and also that he is not prepared to guarantee that the
software won't balk after several switches from one mode into another, to a
point where I can throw the player away (says the salesman).

In other words: In order to rip off the consumer, the DVD industry has made
the situation even more complicated than it was with NTSC/PAL etc.

I think it's a good idea to ask producers to cater to our real needs, but
under the given circumstances this may be wishful thinking. Or maybe I'm to
pessimistic? I'll certainly be interested to know whether the appeal to
produce in more languages has any effect.

Gernot Neuwirth, Vienna