LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:04:13 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Michael Bush <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:04:27 -0700
>From: Michael Bush <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5428 Popular DVD movies are only French and Spanish
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
A DVD has the capacity to hold 32 subtitle tracks and 8
tracks for audio for dubbed languages.

How many the developers actually place there is simply a
matter of cost.

My guess is that this capability will develop, but it will
take time.  Once the developers perceive there to be a
market there to make back their investment plus profit, then
they will make it happen.

This is not the only DVD feature that is not being fully
exploited.  Multiangle viewing is almost non-existent thus
far.  Also creating a title with multiple versions
(selectable R, PG versions on the same disc) for a film is
almost unheard of as well.

Cheers,

Mike
Michael Bush