LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 16:37:53 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Ken Carpenter" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Ken Carpenter" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Popular DVD movies are only French and Spanish
>Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:37:56 -0500

------------------
    A few years ago, I read somewhere that movie in the DVD format would be
available in numerous languages in audio and subtitles. I think the article
said something like that we would be able to purchase copies of blockbuster
features which could be played in a choice of 21 language and subtitle
combinations. This, I thought would be enjoyable for some passive contact
with languages in an entertaining setting. I envisioned a few summers of
easily attained saturation.

    But only French and Spanish are common as additional sound and audio
tracks. I wonder if the decision to limit the number of tracks was made
because someone thought the interest in such a feature is limited. Would
there be enough interest? Could we communicate that there would be to the
decision makers?

Ken Carpenter