LLTI Archives

January 2000, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:33:03 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Matthew Mattingly <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 14:48:38 -0500
>From: Matthew Mattingly <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5412 Bibliographical query
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I use and like EndNote, which seems to be the weapon of choice here at
Amherst College. It has very nice features such as accessing many online
databases and library catalogs which you can search and import the
results. It can format and export the data in various styles. I only use
a fraction of its capabilities. I have had some problems with crashes on
Mac, but I'm not sure if they are really bugs or some system conflict I
haven't figured out yet.
Matthew

LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "John Robin ALLEN" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >From: "John Robin ALLEN" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Bibliographical query
> >Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 06:23:53 -0600
>
> ------------------
> Can anyone who works with computers and languages help me with a small
> problem? I need to maintain a large bibliography and want to use a computer
> to help. I know of three programs that could qualify, but I don't know which
> one is the best, and the best one might be a totally different program.
>      About half of the people to whom I have mentioned this problem say
> Pro-Cite is the best and is the one that most persons use. The other half
> say EndNote is the best and is the one that most persons use. One person
> said that Citation is the one she uses, and it does everything she needs it
> to do.
>      Was it John Alden who said that "If you want to have a job done well,
> do it yourself"? Is that true in this case? My name is somewhat similar to
> John Alden, but do I really have to write my own program? I'll probably do
> just that, but in the meantime, can anyone suggest any alternative course of
> action?
>      I'm posting this query on another board that most of those who read
> this will also read. My apologies for the cross listing.
>       j.r.a.
> John Robin ALLEN
> 390 Marlton Crescent
> Winnipeg, Manitoba R3R 1A7
> Canada
>
> Phone: (204) 889-3561
> Fax: (204) 889-3655
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Matthew Mattingly                        [log in to unmask]
Director                                         (413) 542-8163
Five Colleges Multimedia Access Project      FAX (413) 542-2662
Box 2256                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        http://www.amherst.edu/~map
Amherst College
Amherst, MA 01002