UVCB-MEMBERS Archives

September 2010

UVCB-MEMBERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Carole Blake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 01:22:37 +0000
Hi All -

A good start to the new year. Thanks for all your hard work last night. Sounded good for the first rehearsal of the year!

This coming Saturday is the veteran's recognition day in Hanover. Thanks for voting to participate in the festivities. I spoke with the gentleman at the Inn today just to confirm details. And here is what is happening.

According to all reports, this is quite the big deal. Vets from WW II, Korea, Vietnam etc. will be recognized. There will be a drill team from Norwich Univ. and a couple of singers to entertain the vets prior to their meal. Once they leave to go to the luncheon we'll be playing in front of the Hanover Inn while they are enjoying their buffet dinner on the terrace. Chairs will be provided for us and we'll set up where they were watching the activities. Ernst will bring stands and percussion equipment. We will be playing from the little books, plus I'll bring the service marches ... both original and easy versions. (who shows up will depend on which service marches we play).

The ceremonies will begin at noon, followed by speeches by Pres. Wright and  an important person ... General ???

Parking will be around the Dartmouth green. The street in front of the Hop and Hanover Inn will be reserved for handicap veterans and vans that will be transporting them. So basically, that area is closed to us. If you can't find a place around the green then you can go to Lebanon St., park in the lot opposite the Indian restaurant/St. Denis' (go in where it says "do not enter")and take the pedestrian access that leads you over to the Hop/Inn.

For those of you not familiar with Hanover .. if you're coming North on I-91 take the Hanover exit, take a right at the end of the ramp and go straight across the bridge, up the hill to the lights. Hanover Inn and the Hop will be straight ahead on the right. If you're coming from I-89 head into Hanover and go past the High School - (that's Lebanon St.) you'll find the parking lot across from St. Dennis' or you can take a right by the football stadium, take a left at the end of the street and then a right that will take you around the Green.

It would be great if you could come early and enjoy the festivities ... it'll be easier to find a parking place too. Am sure it will get pretty hectic by 11:30ish.

Did I mention .... after we've played we're welcome to partake in the buffet. If you bring a guest with you it will be $15 per non-band member.

Look forward to seeing many of you on Saturday ... if not, we'll look forward to seeing you on Monday night.

cb