UVCB-MEMBERS Archives

December 2010

UVCB-MEMBERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Michael Fugere <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Fugere <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2010 23:50:32 -0500
Hmm, I am not sure, but I think that some symphonic tympani heads have
significantly different "texture" to the surface (with corresponding
difference in surface friction) than some of the more
utilitarian/indestructible heads that may be on the high school instruments
we are using?   Could this explain the difference in the ability to produce
the desired sound effect for the whale bit? The variation could be akin to
whether or not one wet's a finger or not before trying to "play" a crystal
wineglass.

<rant>
Personally, I am TRYING to like this piece, but..  It seems to be very
sloppily/lazily arranged, not what I usually expect from Robert W Smith.   I
am hopeful that Cindy's efforts will be successful.
</rant>
Mike Fugere