UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:15:40 -0400
Do bald eagles ever just sit next to the CT river ... near the kilowatt boat
launch.. on the other side of the river...

This early afternoon I went out in the rain and snapped some pictures toward
the opposite shore where I saw vague bird forms that I really couldn't make
out. (My adventure in life is taking my camera out and trying to focus on
things way too far away without a tripod, taking the pictures home, zooming
way in on birds to see if I can figure out what they are! )  Well... I saw
about 4 pairs of Mallards that I could see without zooming, about 7 canada
geese near the opposite shore just hanging out.. some seemingly rusty headed
ducklike birds with orange legs, very blurry. I have a blue blur that I'm
calling a belted kingfisher.. I can see white dots near the wing tips, even
though the picture is double vision-y.

But the weirdest thing is a white blob WAY in the corner of a shot of the
opposite shore, which I wasn't even aiming at. I thought it was snow or
something, but zooming in on it now, I can see a definite curved orange area
that could be a bill and a shadow in the line where an eye would be.
My husband laughed at me when I showed it to him.. I admit it's the quality
of those pictures that people say are proof of Nessie or a UFO, but at least
I KNOW there's really such a thing as a bald eagle! And I know they're in
that area. I just had been scanning the tops of trees for white heads, not
the shore edge. Do they ever just SIT by the shore, kinda hunkered down?

Just wondering!
Lila