UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2012, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2012 19:20:37 -0400
Chris Rimmer, George Clark, Doug Hardy and I all end up at Cambell
flats in Norwich this morning, and were not disappointed. Great
diversity and a very large flock of migrants, mostly warblers and
vireos. Many birds were only seen in flight or high in the canopy,
thus not identified. Both a possible Cape-May and Bay-breasted escaped
positive identification. We all did get great views of several
Philadelphia Vireos, the first of the year for all of us.

Good birding,
Spencer Hardy
Norwich, VT

Campbell Flats Road, Windsor, US-VT
Sep 3, 2012 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)
53 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose  22
Green Heron  1

Turkey Vulture  8
Osprey  1
Accipiter sp.  1
Bald Eagle  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1

Rock Pigeon  18
Mourning Dove  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Empidonax sp.  1
Eastern Phoebe  4

Blue-headed Vireo  2
Warbling Vireo  4
**Philadelphia Vireo  3**
Red-eyed Vireo  12     Conservative guess, possibly the most abundant
passerine in the mix-species flock

Blue Jay  2
American Crow  6
Common Raven  1
Black-capped Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  2
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
House Wren  1
Veery  1
American Robin  20
Gray Catbird  6
Cedar Waxwing  4

Black-and-white Warbler  2
Tennessee Warbler  1
Nashville Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  3
American Redstart  2
Northern Parula  2
Magnolia Warbler  3
Blackburnian Warbler  1
Yellow Warbler  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler  4
Blackpoll Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
Black-throated Green Warbler  7
Canada Warbler  2

Song Sparrow  6
Swamp Sparrow  2
White-throated Sparrow  2
Scarlet Tanager  2     Both non-breeding plumage
Northern Cardinal  1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Indigo Bunting  6     Continuing flock of mixed ages at the far end of
the large cornfield
Bobolink  1     Seen well through multiple scopes and heard by everyone
American Goldfinch  4