UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2014, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Ted Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2014 05:54:34 -0400
Rattlesnakes have begun to disperse from their den sites in western VT and the Adirondack foothills, three weeks later than last year. I had 96 yesterday at the site I monitor, mostly tucked in talus, but some on the move. No shedding groups yet. Soon, perhaps by month's end. Great-crested flycatchers are already hanging around the shedding sites waiting for strips of skin to line their nests. Waterfalls are full, brooks swollen, and lake levels very high, which funnels snakes along very predictable paths.

Ted