UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2008, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cynthia Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cynthia Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:32:41 -0400
Hi Kathleen

I have also heard of the presence of Red Crossbills and White-winged
Crossbills in New England, from a photographer, Jeff Nadler, on a
photography website I belong to. Here's what he says:

"They're back!

Due to a supposed poor conifer cone crop across the boreal forests of
Canada, both red crossbills and white-winged crossbills have started an
invasion south of their usual range, into northern NY, and northern New
England-mainly Maine. Once finding the desired food supply, they typically
stay around and breed. Not sure about Minnesota and Upper Michigan. So for
those looking to add more finches to their portfolios, these birds are
further south than the norm, at least in the northeast."

The source is www.NatureScapes.net

Sounds like a good possibility! Keep us posted if you see them again. Did
you hear them as well?

Cindy Crawford