UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2013, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Spencer Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Spencer Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 08:28:10 -0500
A large flock of Common Redpolls (~75) at our feeders this morning contained at least 2 birds that fit well within the "Hoary group." Both stood out as slightly bulkier and definitely paler. One was a male with a good amount of pink on the breast, the other without signs of pink, but still paler than the nearby male Commons. In my opinion, some Hoarys, like the male today (maybe a Greenland bird?), stand out more than a Lesser Scaup would in a flock of Greaters. Of course there is a LOT of variation in both species, and I don't know much about the genetic work. Certainly an interesting genus/species.

Spencer Hardy
Norwich, VT

Sent from my iPhone