UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2010, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:49:03 -0400
In the Ledyard Bridge area this evening, swallow activity was
outstanding. Between 5:30 and 6:30 we watched the numbers build from ~30
initially, to a maximum of ~50, and then back to ~30. Our impression was
that the group was not static, but constantly changing as new arrivals
came up river, and others moved on or departed to roost.

All species were feeding close to the water, so their reflections
doubled our fascination (and made counting tricky).

The show is highly recommended, especially because it isn't guaranteed
to occur every year here. Differentiating between all 5 species is not
always trivial, but very rewarding if you study the whole scene (e.g.,
different flight patterns) rather than concentrating on looking for
field marks from the book. Try varying your viewing angle by moving
around a bit to improve lighting. Also, watch for size differences when
flight paths intersect. Be patient!

Doug & Spencer Hardy, George Clark
Norwich

Location:     Ledyard Bridge Area- CT River, Norwich
Observation date:     4/28/10
Number of species:     17

Wood Duck     1
Mallard     2