UV-BIRDERS Archives

January 2008, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Jim Block <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Block <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:04:27 -0500
I have posted a few photos of the Pine Grosbeaks described below in
yesterday's email at
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzes1eww/jimblockphotography/id24.html
The top left image is a composite of three quick shots with a long lens as I
panned vertically to get them all in. I only had a minute or two before the
oil truck scattered them so changing lenses was not possible.

After driving around Lyme, Thetford, and Norwich looking in vain for
something interesting in the gloomy light, I found a group of 6 male pine
grosbeaks feeding on high bush cranberries along King Road about a mile from
my home.  Watching them from the treetops was a group of 8 bohemian
waxwings.  I got only a few photos before the grosbeaks flew.

About 15 minutes later I managed to locate them again near the entrance to
Morton Farm.  One sat on a small tree and the others were near the tops of
the trees across the road.  When I approached the single bird the other 5
must have wanted their photos taken also.  They flew in and landed fairly
close to me.  I got a few more photos before an oil truck came speeding down
Laramie Road sending the grosbeaks heading south toward Lebanon.

Jim Block
Digital Photo Classes