UV-BIRDERS Archives

November 2010, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:24:32 -0500
Ok so I have suckered you all in.  We spent a few days visiting family on
Cape Cod over turkey.  Cape is pretty cool this time of year, especially the
sea birds !

Talked to a fellow who had , the day before. Seen a Yellow-throated Warbler
in Chatham.  Beaches are pretty sweet this time of year too.

Cave Swallow is at the end (best for last?)

Cape Cod Birding   Thanksgiving  2010    Nov 25-28

Hyannis Port Coast and Marsh:

1 Co Loon

20 ~  Com Eider

9  Brant

30 ~  Bufflehead

2 Gadwall, brackish area nearby.

1  Bonaparte's Gull..smaller, cheek patch and distinctly different flight
behavior !  Band on tail, smaller bill.

20+ Herring Gull,  16 ~ Ring-billed

20 ~ Red-br Mergs

50 +  Black Ducks

1 Harrier, F

42 Ruddy Turnstones

2 Greater Yellowlegs (even called)

4 Dunlin, winter adults, distinct bills !  In with the Turnstones.

1 Great Blue Heron

1 Belted Kingfisher, male

1 Mockingbird

2 Carolina Wrens

1 Tree Sparrow

1 Song Sparrow, singing.

2 Mute Swans..rather aggressive !  Male in attack mode. (at small pond
nearby)  (definitely not Tundra..ha-ha)

Chatham, MA   from the beaches, bluff and the harbor

~ 1000 Common Eider  (100, 000 + in the vicinity)

40 ~ No Gannets.. dipping and diving, strong birds

4 Red throated Loons (one in brilliant winter plumage, close to shore)

2  Razorbills !!!  There was a report of 8,000 around the Cape. Only my
second observation.  (have to do sea birds with scope)

1 Black Scoter, M

1 Surf Scoter, M

12 White-winged Scoters

1 No Harrier, F

2 Red-t Hawks

2 No Flickers

*** Cave Swallows.  Met someone who asked if we were looking for them. "Oh,
where ?". All we found were about a dozen recently hypothermicly dead ones.
The dog happened to wander off the trail, I followed.  I turned them in to
the Refuge center. Kept one for posterity. I have seen them in Laguana
Attacosa NWF in south TX. The cool thing was a few minutes later we were
birding the Chatham Harbor, and chatted with some birders. Cave Swallows
came up. One was doing research for Harvard, Comparative Zoology Dept. Then
I gave him a present. Said it was the first specimen for the state of MA.

Bill Shepard

Project Coordinator

CT River BIrding Trail

2360 Academy Road