UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2013, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kathryn Mortimer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathryn Mortimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2013 19:35:30 -0400
I have lived on Whippoorwill Rd in Thetford Center for 20 years, a very wooded area in which I usually only see various woods birds and owls.  Today driving home about 6pm, I stopped at the sight of what might have been a Little Blue Heron standing at the side of the road, on the edge of a watery ditch. Unfortunately I did not get a picture.  As I carefully opened the car door to take one, the bird flew off over my neighbor's lawn and into the trees.

I went immediately to the bird book because I could not believe I had seen a heron in this woody area, but I really think that is what I saw.   The bird had a heron-type beak and a heron shape, a stretched neck, was about two feet tall, mostly gray or blue-gray.  I thought I saw a tiny blob of color under the bill but I could have been mistaken.

Is this possible?