UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2007, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"J. Langevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Langevin
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 23:55:36 -0500
    We saw a number of Common Nighthawks in the air over Panerras this evening on 12A in West Lebanon.  When we went to CVS a lone one was flying above.  I got out the binoculars.  A man and woman walking by asked me what I thought it was and I said a nighthawk; he agreed.
    I have not seen any male RT Hummingbirds at my feeders here in Enfield Center since Aug 25th.  I did have as many as 5 F and kids around a feeder at any one time.  Today I saw only 3 birds at a time. Sorry to say migration has started.
    It was fun when I knew those little black eyes were watching me.  I put out two more feeders when the kids started coming feed.  I put one in a nearby lilac bush that was a common place in years past.  I only got 8 to 10 feet away when I saw a hummer land on it.  I also had couple of times when rehanging a feeder that a bird would light on it while I was still holding it.  I placed a second feeder on the window of my sun room facing east.  The feeder was protected by the eves.  This became a popular spot especially during showers.  It had to be refilled everyother day if not daily for a few weeks.
    Saw a Great Blue Heron in George Pond today.
    Had a Junco at my feeder today.
    J. Langevin
    Enfield Ctr.