UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2007, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Julie Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julie Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:41:36 -0500
Last night between rain spells, Matt Medler heard some zeeps out the
window. We went outside to listen and there was a constant stream of
Swainson's Thrushes flying overhead. We hooked up the night flight
recorder and were able to detect some 20 Swainson's in an hour's time
as well as some warbler zeeps. Most of the "hits" were water drops
off the trees, but the sonograms of actual bird sounds were obvious.
We could hear additional birds that didn't get picked up by the
microphone. A friend of ours in Maine also noted a heavy migration
event last night at the same time. It was our first time using this
technology and we're already hooked enough to keep it going during
the migration season.  Stay tuned for more.....

-Julie
Hartland, VT