UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2007, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 20:37:25 -0400
Below the Ledyard Bridge this morning:

Mallard     2
Double-crested Cormorant     4
Osprey     2
Killdeer     3
Great Black-backed Gull     1 imm.
Eastern Phoebe     1
American Crow     2
Fish Crow     2
Black-capped Chickadee     1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet     1
American Robin     2
Yellow-rumped Warbler     1
Pine Warbler     3
Song Sparrow     2
Common Grackle     11
House Finch     1

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://www.ebird.org/vins)

I'm 99% sure on the Fish Crow ID.  The birds were on the exposed
flats and flew past me at close range, heading north across the road
on the VT side of the bridge.  One bird gave its high-pitched, nasal
call, while the second perched atop a streetlight and fed on a large
snail.  I observed it at close range in my spotting scope - small
overall size and bill stood out.  Birders should be alert for
evidence of nesting in the vicinity.  I've probably overlooked these
birds several times this spring!

Chris
Chris Rimmer
Conservation Biology Dept.