UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2009, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Jim Block <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Block <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 May 2009 05:24:06 -0400
Nancy and Walter,

Thank you for your note.  I posted the images quickly without careful study.
When I took a last glance at them a I noticed a patterning that made me
wonder if I had both sexes.  But I was in a hurry and had other things to do
so I didn't check like I should have.  Late last night when I thought about
the experience I concluded that maybe I was witnessing nest building because
I did not capture any images with caterpillars in the bill but did get many
images with the web "tangled" in their bills.  They would fly off in one
particular direction after each trip to the web. I did not hear any sounds
from them at all.

I hope you don't mind if I share your observation with the listserves.

Thank you.

Jim Block