UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2016, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
William Schults <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Schults <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2016 19:27:17 +0000
Mike:  The e-mails can go into your junk folder for a number of reasons, only some of which are under your control.  Some are under the control of your e-mail service provider.

Sadly, all e-mail service providers have been forced to try to screen out "junk" mail.  Some of this junk mail is "only" annoying, but some of it also includes "malware" threats (software intended to harm or misuse your computer and the data stored there) such as computer viruses.

If the mail is making to your accounts junk mail folder (as you report), you should be able to set the sender:

Upper Valley Birders <[log in to unmask]>

as a "trusted" e-mail address.  One way to accomplish this is to put this address into your e-mail contacts book.  Some applications also have a separate mechanism for flagging the address as "trusted."

If mail is being stopped at the server level before it ever posts to your account, the only recourse is to work with your e-mail service provider to "white list" or otherwise authorize e-mails from this sender.  Large e-mail service providers are often not very receptive/helpful about such requests.

If you have lost some back postings to the list through it being sent to your junk folder and deleted, a complete archive is available on the website.  Directions about how to access the archives appears in the "footer" of each post to UVB.  I think the archive contains about 5 years of data.

Good luck!

Bill Schults
Co-list-owner, [log in to unmask]