UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2007, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 20:32:36 -0400
Catching up here on the doings around home and the area.

On Sunday 5-26-07 I saw a female Blackburnian Warbler fly down from our
huge pine tree in our front yard to gather nesting material. She
returned to the tree but I couldn't tell if she was building there. Some
other small bird seemed to chase after her- possibly our resident male
Hummer who will attack any bird . He chased a Chickadee round and round
the tree and was seen going after a female Rose-breasted grosbeak.  We
have 4 male and 4 female resident R.B. Grosbeaks, several Evening
G.Beaks, my husband saw and photographed an indigo Bunting a week ago,.
we also have a Scarlet Tanager, a Cardinal passing by, and a Loon that
appears to be living in a nearby lake. And the usual chickadees,
nuthatches, H. + D. woodpeckers, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, a Winter
Wren, ovenbirds, Purple finches, hermit thrush, Veery, Common
Yellowthroat, Brown Creeper, a few Juncos still around, Eastern Wood
Pewee, Mourning Doves, R.T. Hummingbird, Barred owls, Ravens,Turkeys,
Ruffled Grouse, several hawks too far away to identify, Eastern Phoebe
(nesting on our house), tufted titmouse, Goldfinches, wood thrush,
Robins., Black-throated Green Warblers...

Today I saw and heard a male Cardinal- passing by perhaps. They don't
usually come here as we are pretty heavily wooded.  A Brown-headed
cowbird was here briefly- suspect she was eying the phoebe's nest. Hit
and run. I'm sure I've forgotten some....Several sparrow-types...

So these are our usual summer residents-most are nesting here.

Further afield, saw a female kingbird making a nest  on Monday 5-28-07
while kayaking at Dewey's mills. Also there: Orioles, Yellow warblers,
Redwings, Common Yellowthroats, and a mystery flycatcher.  Photo
reference to follow. I can't identify it.

In Enfield on Friday, 5-25-07 we saw a family of Canada Geese by the
roadside, and Loons in nearby waters.

Photos of Blackburnian, Flycatcher, Kingbird and Geese here:

> http://www.pbase.com/creaturekinships/

(Lots of other birds. flowers and animal photos too...)

Cindy Crawford

--
Creature Kinships
Animal Paintings, Portraits and Prints