UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2009, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 2009 16:55:01 -0400
This morning (July 3) Dick Brooks and I observed a sizable Bank
Swallow colony with many dozens of nest holes located near the
Connecticut River in North Thetford, Vermont. This colony is visible
from River Road in Lyme, New Hampshire. Starting north from the
intersection with East Thetford Road in Lyme (just east of the East
Thetford-Lyme bridge across the Connecticut River), River Road is
initially paved and then becomes an unpaved road. Further along to the
north the pavement resumes, and just at the start of this northern
paved section, the Bank Swallow colony is visible looking back
slightly downstream across the river. The distance from River Road in
Lyme to the colony in Vermont is substantial, and a spotting scope
will be helpful. With a  magnification of 40 power at that distance
the numerous Bank Swallows flying about in front of the colony
appeared very small in the scope.

Two separate parts of the Bank Swallow colony can be seen from River
Road, and there are very possibly additional nest holes not visible
from that position on the road. Two fairly large, dead, trees have
fallen downward in front of the bank containing the colony, and these
fallen trees as well as other pieces of projecting wood enabled four
Common Ravens to perch and fly around relatively close to the
entrances of the nest holes of the Bank Swallows. The ravens were
already present when we first saw the colony.

I saw one raven fly down to a nest hole and at its entrance grab a
Bank Swallow which was then carried downward out of sight. The three
other ravens also then flew down in the same direction and again out
of our line of sight. The distance from our viewing point was too
great to determine the age of the captured Bank Swallow, which from
its size might have been a large nestling, a fledgling, or an adult.

The ravens were very noisy while at the colony, but the distance was
too great to determine how many of them were calling. Eventually they
all flew off and the calling no longer heard.

In the same earthen bank as the swallow nest holes was one notably
larger hole. We heard a Belted Kingfisher along the river from our
observation point, but we couldn't determine whether the larger hole
in the bank might have been the entrance to a kingfisher nest burrow.

This was the first time I've seen predation on a Bank Swallow by a
raven.

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT