UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2008, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george a clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george a clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 19:07:09 -0500
My first spring sighting of a Red-winged Blackbird in Norwich village for this
year was of a male repeatedly singing this morning (March 6) in a tree top high
above the front yard of a recently demolished house on Elm Street. Later, this
afternoon, a male Red-wing, conceivably the same individual, was feeding while
on the snow beneath one of my backyard sunflower seed feeders.

(My earliest spring record for Red-wings in Norwich was on February 21, 1998,
when 4 males were seen.)

Also this afternoon (March 6), a flock of 8 Bohemian Waxwings was seen along
Hopson Road  between its intersections with Beaver Meadow Road and Brookside
Lane.

Yesterday (March 5) afternoon here in Norwich village, one Pine Grosbeak was
feeding while on the snow beneath another of the sunflower seed feeders in the
backyard. Also present yesterday in the backyard was a White-throated Sparrow,
presumably a wintering individual and perhaps one of the two White-throats seen
together here in the backyard on February 10.

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT