UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2009, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 08:03:19 -0400
I want to remind everyone that eBird is a great place for planning and pondering things like Greg's list below.

Take Acadian Flycatcher that Greg mentions below for example.
If you go to eBird - View and Explore - maps. And put in Acadian Flycatcher and select June-Aug and NY,MA,NH. Then, I zoomed into the closest area of sightings to Vermont. Check it out:
http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?speciesCodes=acafly&reportType=species&bMonth=06&bYear=2005&eMonth=07&eYear=2009&countries=US&states=US-MA&states=US-NH&states=US-NY&getLocations=states&continue.x=67&continue.y=14&continue=t
You will see that the area closest for apparent breeders reported on eBird is around the Quabbin. Now, what about migrants? Well, to top and change dates to spring migration. I get a map that shows records again from Quabbin being the closest. Recent records, colored yellow, are only found coastaland NYC area so far.
Check it out:
http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?src=changeDate&speciesCodes=acafly&getLocations=states&states=US-MA%2CUS-NH%2CUS-NY&reportType=species&monthRadio=on&bMonth=03&eMonth=05&bYear=2005&eYear=2009&continue.x=36&continue.y=15&continue=Continue

Sharing data in and sharing data out, that what eBird is all about. Check out another species yourself. But remember, don't get carried away with virtual birding and miss all the actual birds outside!

Kent